https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/biological-universe/4599E17C7FAAECE4A87038C62039C755, Our Book is out! Aside from the water that exists in ice form, there is also the staggering amount of water that exists beneath the Earth's surface. About 71 percent of the Earth's surface is water-covered, and the oceans hold about 96.5 percent of all Earth's water. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUHI67dh9jEO2rvK–MdCSg, Support us at: https://www.patreon.com/universetoday Sub-Saharan Africa has many nations that lack access to drinking water. On the agricultural side, the demand for fresh water is very much high. Approximately 71% of the earth's surface is covered by water. We’ve written many articles about the oceans for Universe Today. But yet all the fresh water is not available to us. In simplest terms, water makes up about 71% of the Earth’s surface, while the other 29% consists of continents and islands. What percent of the earth's water is freshwater? Most water in Earth's atmosphere and crust comes from the World Ocean's saline seawater, while fresh water accounts for nearly 1% of the total. There is no shortage of water on earth. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-KklSGlCiJDwOPdR2EUcg/, Astronomy Cast: Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/universetoday Episode 363: Where Did Earth’s Water Come From? They should not throw the rubbish anywhere as they want. A tiny fraction of water exists as water vapor in our atmosphere. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. 10 Top Global Market | World Stocks | COVID-19 How It... Denmark To Open School First In Europe Amid Coronavirus. But how much of our planet is made up of water, exactly? Groundwater consists of about 30 percent of Earth's freshwater compared with nearly 69 percent for icecaps, glaciers and permanent snow. But in terms of mas, scientists calculate that the oceans on Earth weight about 1.35 x 1018 metric tonnes (1.488 x 1018 US tons), which is the equivalent of 1.35 billion trillion kg, or 2976 trillion trillion pounds. In icecaps, icebergs, we can see the fresh waters. No! The earth boasts of some of the largest water bodies including the oceans, lakes, and rivers that stretch across approximately two-thirds of its surface. In the earth when the water takes the seventy-one percentage, the salty water already takes 96.5%. Water also exists in the air as water vapor, in rivers and lakes, in icecaps and glaciers, in the ground as soil moisture and in aquifers, and even in you and your dog. Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window), Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window), NASA’s Solar System Exploration Guide on Earth. However, despite the fact that three-quarters of the Earth are made up of water, less than 3% of the water is fresh, non-saline water. In simplest terms, water makes up about 71% of the Earth’s surface, while the other 29% consists of continents and islands. A cubic mile is the volume of a cube measuring one mile on each side. In simplest terms, water makes up about 71% of the Earth's surface, while the other 29% consists of continents and islands. The density of the water depends upon the salinity of the water as the density of the water increase with the increase of the salinity. Percentage Of Water On Earth. In terms of volume, all of the water on Earth works out to about 1.386 billion cubic kilometers (km³) or 332.5 million cubic miles (mi³) of space. of the water. The quantity of the freshwater is very low on the earth as the big part ocean carries the saltwater. Not that long ago, it was believed that our planet formed dry some 4.6 billion years ago, with high-energy impacts creating a molten surface on the infant Earth. Listen here, Episode 51: Earth and Episode 363: Where Did Earth’s Water Come From? In short, it now appears that meteorites were depositing water on Earth in its earliest days. In this again lakes contain 20.9% and ground ice and permafrost contain 69%. Don’t throw the chemicals, medicines anywhere. When less than 500 ppm or parts per million of dissolved salts like calcium ions, magnesium ions are present in the water, we can call this type of water is freshwater. The diversity of the environment also changes the demand for water. Percentage Of Water On Earth | Pollution Effects | Scarcity |... Technology Advantages & Disadvantage | Human | Environment | earth-24.com. Over 68 percent of the fresh water on Earth is found in icecaps and glaciers, and just over 30 percent is found in ground water. Farmers use toxic chemicals to kill the kits but in the raining time the harmful toxins flow with the water and mix up in the pond or river. The first is the more general about 70% of Earth is water while about 30% is land (US Geological Society). Furthermore, of the existing … Overpopulation always is another main reason for this. Most of the poor people reside near the industrial areas and as a result, they have to face a lot of problems. We’ve also recorded an episode of Astronomy Cast all about planet Earth. They have to clean the beaches and the sides of the river. The Guide to Space is a series of space and astronomy poddcasts by Fraser Cain, publisher of Universe Today, Episode 700: Interview: Wallace Arthur and the Biological Universe. The scarcity of water is seen in many places. And here’s a link to NASA’s Earth Observatory. There are generally two versions of the answer to this question. Where is most of the earth's fresh water found? Chad Weber – [email protected], Support Universe Today podcasts with Fraser Cain. It should say ” … upon refection of the sky (or atmosphere)”. Join us at patreon.com/universetoday. It’s blue sky (and its reflection) that makes Earth blue. This is due to the prevalence of water on the planet’s surface. https://www.amazon.com/Universe-Today-Ultimate-Viewing-Cosmos/dp/1624145442/, https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/universe-today-guide-to-space-audio/id794058155?mt=2, https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbJ42wpShvmkjd428BcHcCEVWOjv7cJ1G, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-KklSGlCiJDwOPdR2EUcg/, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUHI67dh9jEO2rvK–MdCSg, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEItkORQYd4Wf0TpgYI_1fw, Episode 699: Open Space 96: The End of the International Space Station? Seen in this context, the limited and precious nature of freshwater becomes truly clear. This conclusion was reached by examining meteorites thought to have formed at different times in the history of the Solar System. Only about 0.3 percent of our fresh water is found in the surface water of lakes, rivers, and swamps. However, more recent research conducted by the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) in Woods Hole, Massachusetts, has pushed the date of these origins back further. The freshwater groundwater takes about 30.1% and ice caps, glaciers take 68.7%. Thus how also water pollution occurs.Water Pollution. 90% B.99% C.95% D.97% E. 93% QUESTION 2 Cold winds pouring downhill because of gravity are called A. You have entered an incorrect email address! Percentage Of Water On Earth | Pollution Effects | Scarcity | earth-24.com, Contact Earth-24 Today- Best Educational Websites, Environmental Pollution | Types, And Causes Of Pollution, Percentage Of Water On Earth | Fresh & Salty, effect on the life of the people and the environment, World GDP Trade War & Lockdown | Labor | Unemployment | earth-24.com. This is just 1/4400 the total mass of the Earth, which means that while the oceans cover 71% of the Earth’s surface, they only account for 0.02% of our planet’s total mass. 3% is freshwater. https://www.amazon.com/Universe-Today-Ultimate-Viewing-Cosmos/dp/1624145442/, Audio Podcast version: For mining processes ( 5%)and industrial training (53%), people use the saltwater. Most water in Earth's atmosphere and crust comes from the World Ocean's saline seawater, while fresh water accounts for nearly 1% of the total. These meteorites are dated to the same epoch in which water was believed to have formed on Earth – some 11 million years after the formation of the Solar System. The oceans hold 96.5 percent of that water, and there is also water in icecaps and glaciers. Wallace Arthur is an evolutionary biologist and emeritus professor of Zoology at the National University of Ireland, Galway. Less than one percent of all the water on Earth is fresh. If you could melt all that ice, and the Earth’s surface was perfectly smooth, the sea levels would rise to an altitude of 2.7 km. Best Time to Wake Up | Sleep Time | by Age Groups | Earth-24, Effects of Natural Resources Depletion | Causes | Earth-24, What is the Paleo Diet | Benefits Meal Plan list | Earth-24, Technology Advantages & Disadvantage | Human | Environment | E-Waste.